apatt

Long winded reviews

Kiln People
Beth Meacham, David Brin

The Man Who Folded Himself

The Man Who Folded Himself - David Gerrold I remember picking up this book in a public library in London. I had no idea who David Gerrold was, just that the cover looked interesting and the synopsis sounded good. I was fairly new to sf way back then and time traveling was an exciting concept to me. Prior to this novel the only time travel fiction I have read was H.G. Wells' the Time Machine. It is of course a classic but there is not all that much depiction of time travel paradoxes in Wells' book, he was more concerned with other themes (and Morlocks). David Gerrold's book on the other hand is all about paradoxes and it blew my mind with its twisty wibbly wobbly timey wimey shenanigans. I remember putting it down a few times just to pause and digest the weirdness I just read, it was like emerging from a dream fueled by excessive cheese consumption. I don't normally write synopses but here is a quickie: a man acquires time travel device (a belt) switches on and extreme weirdness ensues, including meeting versions of himself from different times and parallel worlds. Highly recommended, especially for fans of Doc Brown and The Doctor!