apatt

Kiln People
Beth Meacham, David Brin

Elric of Melniboné

Elric of Melniboné - Michael Moorcock

I have this feeling that my luck is none too good. This sword here at my side don’t act the way it should. Keeps calling me it’s master, but I feel like it’s slave.
Hauling me faster and faster to an early, early grave.
And it howls! It howls like hell!

"Black Blade" by Blue Öyster Cult, lyrics by Michael Moorcock

How many authors do you know who gets to write lyrics for a song based on his book to be record by a legendary metal band? Elric has to be just about the coolest most bad ass mofo in the history of fantasy fiction. He is clearly not a graduate from the Cimmerian School Barbaric Fantasy Heroism though, he is more the regal melancholy type, a tall red eyed albino with a penchant for navel-gazing between slicing & dicing sessions. Elric is armed with an accursed soul sucking black sword called Stormbringer, a weapon so fearsome Excalibur would want to put a restraining order on it.

Considering the gargantuan length of your average fantasy epic these days it is amazing how much plot, characterization and action Moorcock managed to squeeze into less than 200 pages. Elric's character its developed quickly and vividly. The plot of this book is like Games of Thrones on speed and the end is a beginning for many more adventures to come.

Elric is one of Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champions, essentially one hero in different versions protecting parallel universes. Most Eternal Champions books do not have to be read in order but as far as Elric is concerned this one is the best starting point. I am looking forward to reading them all.