apatt

Book Ramblings

Long winded reviews

Kiln People
Beth Meacham, David Brin

Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura #1)

Rot & Ruin (Benny Imura #1) - Jonathan Maberry Normally I aspire to something more "high brow" than zombie novels, but now and then a bit of zombie mayhem does hit the spot for me. Rot & Ruin is a YA zombie apocalypse novel, I can't help but feel that "YA zombie apocalypse" sounds like an oxymoron, as the author has to be a bit more restrained with the mayhem. Also, YA necessitates that the main protagonist has to be a teenager, the very sort of character I can't stand in most works of fiction. Kids whine a lot, they can't help it, they just do. I whined when I was a kid. Unfortunately this makes Benny the teen protagonist almost unbearable for me. On the plus side the Author Jonathan Maberry is a skilled horror writer and he has built a good, believable post apocalyptic world here, some of the supporting characters are actually quite likable ("The Lost Girl". Nix and Tommy are good non-whining characters). In conclusion this is a pretty good and readable book for me but I don't think will pick up the sequel "Dust & Decay" because I personally don't want to spend any more time with "Benny".