apatt

Long winded reviews

Kiln People
Beth Meacham, David Brin

Enchantment

Enchantment - Orson Scott Card Orson Scott Card is of course best known for Ender's Game, an sf classic to be sure but he has written several other books which to my mind are equally good. Unfortunately these tend to be overlooked as readers are so enamored of the Ender series. Consequently Enchantment is unjustly less than famous.

As the title suggest, this is a fantasy novel. The story is based on the original Russian version of Sleeping Beauty, folk tales, and some Slavic history. Card's writing is always crystal clear and elegant, none of the chopped up sentences so beloved by William Gibson fans. The characterization, the pace, the use of magic and spells is first rate. Most of the book takes place in our world, but is no less magical for that. I love it when the magical world intrudes upon our world, the sort of thing you get in urban fantasy.

While the story is less than epic in scope I still had an absolute blast with this book. This book is pure joy and a must read, you may even learn something about Slavic history which will undoubtedly come in handy at parties and such.