apatt

Long winded reviews

Kiln People
Beth Meacham, David Brin

The Postman

The Postman - David Brin In my experience people who pretend to be postmen are usually up to no good, they are more apt to enter your homes under false pretenses and rob you blind than attempt to unite the post apocalyptic Disunited States of America. The protagonist of this book has to be the most heroic postman in fiction. You thought Postman Pat and Cliff Clavin from Cheers are the bees knees? They got nothing on Gordon The Postman, he really knows how to deliver!

This is the second Brin book for me, the previous one I read was [b:Startide Rising|234501|Startide Rising (The Uplift Saga, #2)|David Brin|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1432746993s/234501.jpg|251634] which was fun but just a wee bit disappointing in that it did not resonate with me much (those "uplifted" dolphins are just a little too cute for me, even the badass ones). Still, I like Brin's writing and the basic premise of The Postman so I thought I'd give it a go, and it turned out to be one of my more inspired decisions. An optimistic post apocalypse book is a rarity, if this is a sub-sub genre I doubt it will catch on, you don't warn people about the errors of their ways only to have things eventually turning out OK. I think this book is more about idealism than a commentary about where the world is heading today. It is about a lie that grows into a truth rather than “A lie told often enough becomes the truth” which is an entirely different mailbag.

While the story is sentimental in places, and not entirely unpredictable or cliche-free, Mr. Brin pushes the right buttons most of the time (leaving the left buttons entirely untouched). He has me cheering "AMERICA F*CK YEAH!" and I am not even American. I also like it that when the climactic kickassery ensues it is not between the titular Postman and the "boss villain", let the more interesting side character do the heavy lifting for a change. This is an excellent read that touches me at the emotional core. Five stars? I'd award it all the stars in the sky plus those residing in Hollywood!

Note: I don't think I want to see the Costner movie after reading this factoid on IMDb.