apatt

Long winded reviews

Kiln People
Beth Meacham, David Brin

Leviathan Wakes

Leviathan Wakes - James S.A. Corey This is the first "inter-solar" space opera I have ever read (or remember reading). The era of the setting is also interesting, neither the near future nor particularly far-flung. This is set at a time where space colonization has been going on for some years but mankind is still restricted to our solar system, intergalactic travels are still a dream, or a science fiction concept. The year is not indicated in the book so my guess is about 100 years from now, 200 tops!

The book is an interesting hybrid of noir detective and space opera, with a touch of Lovecraftian horror. The prose style is crisp and clear though without ever achieving elegance. The action sequences are very well described, scenes where the characters are inside a space ship under attack by another ship are quite vividly written, I can practically feel the scenery shaking like they do in star trek episodes. There is also an interesting contrast between commercial freighter and military spaceship. Both the space opera and the noir detective aspects of the book work reasonably well in the first half of the book, though I did find the pacing flag a bit from time to time.

Alternating chapters between two protagonist point of views is fine and it is easy to follow because there are only two of them, but I wish the authors had not subtitled every chapter with the name of the POV protagonist, switching back and forth between the two of them. This approach works well for their friend George R.R. Martin.

* James S. A. Corey is a pseudonym used by collaborators Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck.